We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About The Role
We’re looking for PhD intern candidates to contribute to Marketplace data science in Summer 2019 (3 months). We seek candidates with a strong background in economics, machine learning, computer science, and operations research. You will be embedded in a product team such as Rider Pricing, and work closely with the engineers and product managers under the supervision of a data scientist in that team. You’ll be focused on modeling and algorithm development on a project defined by you and your mentor.
What You’ll Do
- Work with your mentor closely to scope a project, define the problem, and develop and prototype the solution
- Work alongside engineers and product managers to understand the business use cases and production feasibility of your work, and collaborate on the experimentation and productionisation of your work
- Develop creative solutions to product problems using a combination of empirical insights and sophisticated technical methods
- Communicate with senior management and cross-functional teams
- Simulate the effects of re-allocating between driver incentive mechanisms
- Investigate how surge pricing interacts with different innovations in how riders are matched with drivers
- Develop new matching algorithms that power our shared rides products.
- Quantify the medium- to long-term impact of changes to pricing and matching on rider and driver partner activity.
- Build machine learning models which predict a customer’s response to promotions.
What You’ll Need
- Ph.D. student (anticipated graduation in 2020) majoring in CS, Economics, Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative disciplines
- Experience in modeling and algorithm development
- Coding proficiency and the ability to develop statistical analysis and prototype algorithms in Python or R
- Proficiency in SQL
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and business stakeholders