Machine learning Operations (MLOps) is a process focused on taking machine learning models into production. It is a collaborative function that consists of data scientists, DevOps engineers, etc. The ML model goes through the development, integration, testing, deployment, and monitoring steps as DevOps. This automates the deployment of machine learning and deep learning models in massive production systems, streamlining the management process. Aligning models with both business demands and regulatory standards is simpler.
1) Increases productivity
MLOps increases the productivity of data scientists and machine learning engineers.
Some ways in which it happens is by
- Creating automated pipelines
There are many repetitive tasks in ML modeling. MLOps stand for automating the entire workflow of the ML model. This saves time and avoids human-induced errors. We can avoid wasting time on repetitive tasks and make value-added tasks.
- Standardizing ML workflows for efficient collaboration
This reduces compatibility problems and quickens the construction and deployment of modeling processes.
The increase in productivity is evident when implementing machine learning models and after implementing the models. The efficiency of model implementation has also improved over time as machine learning engineers become better at developing new models.
2) Less Expenditure
- If we have one model, there is no need to hire extra people to develop new versions.
- Since there is no need to purchase additional hardware and software tools for delivering model versions, a significant portion of the operational costs can be avoided.
- It makes it possible for you to identify and minimize errors methodically. Reduced model management errors will also result in lower expenses.
- Automation reduces the need for manual management of machine learning models. Employee time will be freed up as a result and may be put to better use.
- Automating ML workflow provides reproducibility and repeatability regarding how the machine learning model is deployed. This helps in becoming more productive by reducing the time to deploy models.
- Coding automation also makes the job of data scientists easier. It enables the writing of code with little assistance from humans. Additionally, because ML keeps the portions of algorithms that work, it lets data scientists avoid repeating the time-consuming trial and error procedure, saving time and money.
- MLOps makes ML pipelines more reliable, human error will be less, and we can get real insights into the data.
- For reliable scaling, MLOps streamlines model management procedures.\
The machine learning model we get as a product of MLOPs is highly reliable with very few errors and high quality with high accuracy.
- MLOps enable distributed teams of employees to collaborate on a common delivery model. It reduces deployment time and costs. Also, data collection and training of new models can be done independently by a department or team. Collaborating on a common distribution model allows all departments to share and process data more quickly and efficiently.
- A data scientist alone cannot work on achieving the goals of MLOps, so collaborating with others who work in IT and infrastructure development is essential.
Building an integrated team ensures that these people with the skills necessary to make MLOps successful will work together to deliver the desired project outcomes.
It allows seamless collaboration so that various teams can join hands in developing high-quality models.
Through MLOps, we get insights about model performance by
- Retraining the model continuously to make sure that it gives the most accurate output.
- Sending signals if there is any model drift (if the model degrades below a threshold).
- This ensures that the process runs within regulations and that the program returns high-quality information.
Any company using ML technology would be wise to implement MLOps principles. As was mentioned above, MLOPs and other tools like ModelOps can help you increase the efficiency of your company. This ensures that the ML solutions you use provide the value you want.
Prathvik is ML/AI Research content intern at MarktechPost, he is a 3rd year undergraduate at IIT Kharagpur. He has a keen interest in Machine learning and data science.He is enthusiastic in learning about the applications of Machine learning in different fields of study.